International Trip Planning


Regional airports will be more limited in GSE options. Individual AIPs and ICAO regulations are consistent in that they require survival equipment to be carried when operating over sparsely populated or remote areas. Separate from the required first aid kits, an emergency medical supply kit provides for the more frequent cases of medical diversions and critical in-flight medical treatment. Many operators choose to carry and train for the use of automated external defibrillators, AED. A supply of drinking water, non-perishable snack food, condiments, eating utensils and cleaning supplies should be considered for carriage.


U.S. flight crews traveling abroad are required to carry all appropriate FAA certificates. Temporary certificates are rarely acceptable. ICAO bases medical certificates on the type of license held rather than operation. Airline Transport Pilots are required to have a valid first class medical. These certificates are typically considered valid only to the actual date of exam, not the end of the month. A restricted radiotelephone operator’s license issued by the FCC is required, even though this license no longer is required domestically. A passport is required for all international travel and should be valid for a period of at least six months at the time of arrival in a foreign country. This varies by country and visa requirements. Sleep loss is one of the primary contributors to fatigue in flight crewmembers and is directly related to a variety of scheduling factors.


Most countries hold the pilot-in-command responsible for any improper documentation held by crew or passengers and can deny entry and possibly impose penalties. Coordination and oversight of passenger and flightcrew documentation requirements is needed to ensure delay free and efficient international operations. As a standard, personal documents normally required include a passport to verify citizenship, immunization records that are recognized by the WHO to prove acceptable health status and a visa to permit admission to the countries requiring them. The generally accepted international procedure for children under the age of 18 traveling without BOTH parents is to have written consent of a non-accompanying parent. While state procedures vary, if state officials and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. 


Having a plan in advance on how to get care when you’re overseas and become sick or injured without warning is the key to successful treatment. This applies to all travelers, but is especially important for senior citizens, pregnant women, people with pre-existing conditions, or people who will be in a foreign country for an extended period of time. 

In general, maintenance away from home base can be separated into two areas of responsibility. The first occurs when the company has a maintenance manager or someone with responsibility for the aircraft’s maintenance. The second occurs when no one fills that position. In either situation, the flight crew should consult the MEL. The availability of maintenance outside the United States should be balanced against the need to carry spare parts and an aircraft technician on the flight. A list of FAA-approved maintenance bases outside the U.S. and foreign repair stations can be obtained from the FAA.

Although your hull and liability policy may state "Worldwide", there are many areas generally excluded from coverage due to hostilities of one form or another. Specific written underwriter approval from your insurance agent/broker confirming underwriter acceptance of the flight is recommeded if you are going to a "Garden Spot"